heaven [-s, -'s] n
- Firmament; vault; night sky; expanse in which the sun, moon, and stars are seen; appearance of a vast canopy over the earth.
- Place of supreme joy; locale of unsurpassable felicity; location of transcendent happiness.
- Sky; air; region of the atmosphere in which the clouds float, the winds blow, and the birds fly.
- Atmosphere; aerial space; ethereal region; area beyond the stretch of air.
- Residence of the gods; home of deities in heathen mythology, such as Valhalla, Mount Olympus, etc.
- Infinite regions of space; realm beyond the clouds; [fig.] universe.
- World; universe; celestial body.
- Celestial abode of God, Jehovah, and their angels; the state of blessed hereafter; [fig.] word of God himself.
- God; supreme power; providence.
- State of bliss; feeling happiness; enjoyment of felicity; [fig.] loved ones with whom supreme joy has been felt.
- Death; passing on from mortal life.