- [Interrogative; question marker]; in what way; in what manner; by what means;
- [+ Infinitive]; by certain means; in a particular manner.
- [Introducing a relative clause]; to what extent.
- [Qualifying adj. or adv.]; to what extent; in what degree
- [Exclamation; intensifier]; so; very; to such a degree!
- [Qualifying verb]; in what way; in what manner; by what authority?
- Phrase. “How many”: what quantity of?
- Phrase. “How much”: what great amount; what generous quantity.
- Phrase. “How are you”: in what condition; how do you feel?
- Phrase. “How doth the busy bee”: [see bee; quoted from a 1715 Isaac Watts poem.]