pile [-s] n
Fr. pile, heap, pyramid, mass of masonry, pier of a bridge < L. pīla, pillar, pier, mole of stone.
- Heap; mass; collection; group; clump; stack; accumulation.
- Fire pit; funeral pyre; mound of combustible material upon which a dead body or sacrifice is burned.
pile [-d] v
see pile, n.
- Accumulate; collect; stockpile; amass.
- Stack; place in a heap; throw into a mound.
- Increase; build up; [fig.] escalate; gradually intensify; grow incrementally louder or more powerful.
- Phrase. “Pile on”: multiply; increase.