plead [-ed, -ing, -s] v
ME plaiden < OFr plaid-ier, go to law, sue, plead; see plea, n. and please, v.
- Entreat; beg for relief; [fig.] indicate severe pain; make a signal of distress; [adverbial] pathetically; pitifully.
- Petition; make an earnest request; [fig.] negotiate; barter; try to make a deal.
- Supplicate; implore.
- Wheedle; cajole; coax; talk sweetly; make an appeal; present requests in a pleasant tone of voice; [fig.] sigh; “ooh” and “ah”; vocalize without words.
- Pray; worship; kneel in prayer; bow in reverence; address a Deity.
- Beg; whine; cry; wail; moan; [fig.] insist plaintively.
- Argue; reason; insist; assert; rationalize; state as justification.