pound [-s] n
OE < WGer. *pundo- < L. pondo, short for libra pondo, a pound weight.
- Weight; measure of heaviness; standard unit of weight.
- Heaviness; weightiness; mass; load; burden; force of downward pressure.
- Portion of overall weight; section of the body.
- Silver piece; unit of money equal to twenty shillings; [fig.] large sum; substantial quantity of wealth.
OE *pund, origin obscure.
- Prison; jail; detention facility; holding place for impounded animals; enclosure for confinement of stray creatures.