OFr < L. præsent-um, present, immediate, prompt, being before, being at hand.
- Near; in close proximity; not absent; [fig.] tangible; visible; real.
- Alive; mortal.
- Existing; happening; occurring; observed; perceived.
- Available; accessible; ready; at hand.
- There; in attendance; on the scene.
- Current; immediate; actual.
present [-s] n
see present, v. and adj.
- Now; current time period.
- Gift; endowment; bequest; inheritance; legacy; [fig.] talent; unusual skill; special ability.
- Prize; award; reward; goal; aim.
- Phrase. “At present”: for now; until further notice; until a later date.
present [-ed, -ing, -s] v
OFr < L. præsentāre, place before, exhibit, hold out, exhibit a likeness to; see present, adj.
- Display; exhibit; show.
- Appear; show up; be visible.
- Exemplify; embody; be characterized by.
- Tell; reveal; disclose; expose.
- Declare; offer as proof.
- Offer; give; bestow; extend; make available; announce as accessible.
- Furnish; endow; provide.
- Introduce; acquaint; make known.
- Carry; bear; hold; poise.
- [Fig.] resurrect; raise; lift.