prove [-d, proving, -s] v
OFr < L. probāre, test the goodness of a thing, try, approve, make good, prove, demonstrate < prob-us, good.
- Confirm; affirm; substantiate; support; demonstrate the validity of; show to be correct; find to be true; provide evidence for; establish as fact the existence of.
- Convince; assure; persuade; induce to believe.
- Turn out to be; be found to be.
- Ascertain; identify; find; discover; detect; demonstrate to exist; show the location or existence of with certainty.
- Test; try.
- Undergo; experience; suffer.
- [Fig.] appear; materialize; manifest; show up; come into view.