- Final; ultimate; terminal; finishing; only remaining; one that comes after all others.
- Previous; most recent; one just before the present.
- Latter; second in a series of two.
see last, adj.
- Most recently.
- Eventually; finally; in the end.
- Phrase. “At last”: finally; eventually; after all; in the end.
- Phrase. “The last”: after all others.
last [-s] n
OE hlæst, load, OE lást, footstep.
- End; closing; conclusion; final part; concluding time.
- Footstep; track; trace.
- Load; certain measure or weight; [word play] final one.
last [-ed, -s] v
OE læstan, to follow, accomplish, perform, pay tribute, maintain, etc.
- Endure; survive; abide; be preserved; remain unconsumed.
- Span; linger; stay; tarry; continue existence.