line [-s] n
OE lín, flax.
- Limit; orbit; circumference.
- Trajectory; path; circuit; atmosphere; edge of firmament; [fig.] travel plan; trading route in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- Cable; measuring cord; nautical rope for sounding depth.
- Note; phrase; message; comment; inscription; written text; set of words; unit of verse in a lyric poem; [fig.] tune; song; cadence; set of musical notes; melodious insect noise.
- Rank; row; [fig.] horizon; visible edge of the earth.
- Boundary; demarcation; division; point of distinction; [fig.] time; date; change of season.
OFr lin, ligne, ling(e); see line, n<sup>1</sup>.
- Boat; battleship; ocean liner; large vessel of war.