was [was't, was'nt, were, wert] v
Germanic wes-; irregular past tense suppletive form of the “be” verb; see be, v.
- [With the past participle to form the passive voice] create.
- [With the past participle to form the habitual verb aspect] had been.
- [Used to link a subject to a predicate noun so that the predicate mirrors the subject.]
- [Linking auxiliary with ellipsis of the predicative adj.] had been.
- Remain; sojourn; stay; tarry; visit; occupy a place.
- Live; endure; exist.
- Be situated; be located [with adverb].
- [Linking verb with ellipsis of the predicate adjective] seem.
- [Used with a present participle to form the conditional tense.]
- Occur; happen; take place; come to pass.
- Continue; persevere; persist.
- Become; come to be; progress until.
- [Used to express the subjunctive; used to form literary or archaic expressions] could be.
- [Used to link a subject to a predicate adjective so that the predicate describes the subject] seem.
- [Used with a present participle to form the progressive tense.]