OE hwíle < abbr. þá hwíle þe, during the time that; see while, n.
- When; [indicating a former state of existence.]
- As long as; [for the duration of a specified amount of time.]
- And at the same time; [a juxtaposition of similar ideas; the two things associated by the conjunction are being compared.]
- But at the same time; [a juxtaposition of opposite ideas; the two things associated by the conjunction are being contrasted.]
- Because of which; [indicates a cause-and-effect relationship.]
- Because; [indicates a causal relationship.]
- At the time; during the period of time; [the two things conjoined by the conjunction have a temporal relation to each other.]
- Although; whereas.
OE hwíl, time < IE qwi- rest, quiet.
- Amount of time.
- Phrase. “The while”: For the duration; throughout the entire time.
- Phrase. “All the while”: the whole time.