see keep, v.
- Shelter; haven; sanctuary; ward; guardianship; safe place; place of security; [fig.] bird's nest in a tree.
keep [-ing, -s, kept] v
- Not reveal; not disclose; not betray; maintain in confidence; confine to one's own knowledge only.
- Endure; remain in; stay in; be confined to.
- Celebrate; solemnize; observe; set apart time for.
- Possess; retain in one's power.
- Fulfill; perform; satisfy; accomplish.
- Attend; fulfill a commitment for.
- Maintain; preserve; retain; continue with.
- Maintain; clean; put in proper order.
- Hold; contain; set in place.
- Incarcerate; hold captive.
- Guard; watch over; take care of; have charge over.
- Phrase. “Keep away”: prevent; save from; protect from; guard against; [fig.] distract from being conscious of.
- Phrase. “Keep house”: stay at home; maintain a family state.