Calvary [Calvaries] proper n
L. < Aramaic gulgulta, place of the skull.
- Good Friday; execution of Christ; [fig.] agony; anguish; misery; pain; unhappiness; woe; wretchedness.
- Offering; passion; sacrifice on behalf of another; [fig.] salvation; redemption.
- Nostalgia ; self-pity; personal suffering; [historical] church in San Francisco that Charles Wadsworth transferred to in May 1862.
- Dirge; lament; requiem; threnody; sacrament hymn.
- Atonement; expiation; excruciating punishment; death of Christ on the cross.
- Grief; bereavement; mourning.
- Mount of execution; hill west of Jerusalem; place where Jesus Christ died on the cross [see Luke 23:33 and ED letters.]
- Phrase. “Empress of Calvary”: woman of sorrows; queen of grief; bereaved bride of a departed loved one.