claim [-s] n
see claim, v.
- Demand; legal action; call to own something.
- Title; deed; suit; [fig.] troth; plight; wedding pledge.
- Duty; obligation; responsibility.
- Application for compensation; assertion of territory.
claim [-ed, -s] v
OFr < L. clāmā-re, cry out, call, proclaim, declare aloud, call upon.
- Espouse; acquire by legal contract; [fig.] kill; cause to die; take the life of.
- Demand; call for; sue for; take as one's own; apply to have on legal grounds; [fig.] earn; achieve; attain; reach; accomplish; arrive at.