Fr. < L. claus-um, closed, shut.
- Near; nearby; nigh; proximate; not far from another in space.
close [-r] adv
see close, adj.
- Near; nearby; in immediate proximity.
- Tight; shut solidly; fast, so as to leave no interstices, outlets, or openings.
see close, v.
- End; conclusion; termination; finishing part; [fig.] death.
close [-d, -s] v
ME < OFr < L. claud-ere, to shut, close.
- End; finish; terminate; conclude; [fig.] die.
- Stop; block; shut.
- Shut; bring parts into near contact; come together into contact or union.
- Cover; inclose; encompass.