cool [cooler] adj
OE < L. gel-, cold; see cold, adj.
- Low in temperature; [fig.] calmer; more serene; more peaceful.
- Moderately cold; not warm to the touch; [fig.] lacking physical warmth because of death.
- Detached; aloof; passionless; unmoved; indifferent; confident; self-assured; lacking emotion; not heated by passion.
- Calm; composed; serene; sans excitement; without excessive emotion.
- More chilling; more aloof; more detached; more passionless; less moved by emotion.
- Easier; more endurable.
- More persistent; more piercing; more noticeable.
- Dull; boring; lusterless; tepid; not fulfilling.
cool [-ed, -s] v
OE < Old Germanic kôlôjan, cold or cool.
- Refresh; allay excessive heat; soothe by lowering the temperature.
- Ease; calm; cause to lose the heat of excitement, passion, or emotion.
- Lose heat; cause to become lower in temperature.