OE a-weg, on + way; see way, n.
- Apart; secretly; underneath; out of sight; in a safe place.
- Through; continuously; without interruption; until the end.
- Elsewhere; in a different direction; from this place to another.
- Missing; aloof; late; overdue; tardy.
- Into nothing; into oblivion; out of existence.
- Gone; into disuse; out of service; out of possession.
- Absent; truant; at a distance.
- On to immortality; out of life.
- Far; abroad; remote; geographically distant.
- Phrase. “Run away”: flee; desert; escape; [fig.] fade; die.