face [-s] n
- Boldness; impudence; temerity; daring; audacity.
- Visible part of the dusk; [fig.] radiance; brilliance; illumination; glow of sunset.
- Person; persona; [metonymy] being; essence; resurrected body.
- Favor; approval; saving grace.
- Eyes; loving glance; affectionate eye contact.
- Dawn; [fig.] salvation; redemption; promise of a new start; beginning of a new existence.
- View; eyesight; [fig.] awareness; consciousness.
- Countenance; front surface of the human head; distinguishing features of the head; identifying characteristics of a human being; part of the head that has the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth; (see Genesis 3:19).
- Attitude; outlook; aspect; characteristic; (see Job 26:9).
- Sun; source of light; [fig.] appearance; manifestation of nature.
- Ordnance; surface of metal at the muzzle of a gun; [fig.] mouth; opening leading into a hollow thing.
- Look; air of the face; expression; cast of features; (see Deuteronomy 32:20).
- Waves; billows; ocean swell; (see Genesis 1:2); [phrase “Blue faces”] symptom of drowning.
- Grave; headstone; [fig.] deceased person; body.
- Presence; sight; close proximity; (see Genesis 16:6).
- Facet; dimension; valence; part of the surface.
- Visage; [fig.] presence; divine being; Holy One; (see Genesis 19:13, Isaiah 50:7).
- Flowering branch; blossoming that appears on certain trees in early spring.
- Advent; actuality; arrival; reality; visible state; (see Exodus 14:25).
- Surface; plane; side which presents itself to the view; (see Job 37:12).
- Inquiry; examination; scrutiny.
- Phrase. “Look her in the face”: gaze at her directly; share eye contact with her.
- Phrase. “face to face”: together; near enough to touch; looking directly at one another; standing in front of someone with close proximity; (see Genesis 32:30).
face [-ing, -ed] v
see face, n.
- Have an opening toward; have a front door toward.