question [-s] n
OFr < L. quærěre, ask, inquire.
- Quest; purpose; mission; [fig.] missile; epistle; message; poem; verse; [fig.] request; petition; prayer; [metaphor] dove; bird sent by Noah from the ark to discover the existence of dry land (see Genesis 8:8-12).
- Inquiry; query; search for knowledge; act of asking.
- Curiosity; inquisitiveness; desire to know an answer.
- Debate; problem.
- Doubt; uncertainty; misgiving; reservation.
- Subject; issue; topic; point of discussion.
question [-ed, -s] v
OFr questionner, see question, n.
- Doubt; challenge.
- Ask; query; inquire; wonder; ponder; desire to know; seek knowledge.
- Phrase. “Question to”: wonder about; puzzle over.