OE nœgel, nail.
- Spike; rivet; short pointed metal piece used to secure a shelter, dwelling, or circus tent.
- Peg; hook; small piece of metal used for suspending something.
- Hanger; [fig.] knob; pommel; [metaphor] plant; branch; tree limb.
- Brad; stud; boss; construction item; small pointed piece of metal with a head for pounding with a hammer into timber; [fig.] instrument of crucifixion (see John 20:25); [metaphor] agony; suffering; excruciating pain.
nail [-s] v
see nail, n.
- Push; press; drive; force; impel; pound; hit with a hammer; [fig.] will; insist; assert.
- Shut; close; [fig.] cause to be blind; take the sight from.
- Secure; fasten; fix with a pin; [fig.] finish; [metaphor] heal; seam; suture; sew together; close a wound; (see Isaiah 22:23).