OE rædels, counsel, opinion, conjecture; see read, v.
- Question; wondering; final words (of Philip van Artevelde in Sir Henry Taylor's play): “What have I done? Why such a death? Why thus?”
- Mystery; unknown; hidden dimensions of spiritual reality; [fig.] afterlife; spirit world; life after death.
- Enigma; paradox; conundrum; test of veracity; trial of faith; [word play] sieve; screen; mesh; filter; instrument for straining out impurities.
- Verse; rhyming text that poses a question; type of poem in the genre of lyric poetry.
- Puzzle; ambiguous statement; something to be solved by conjecture.
OE hriddel < hrider, to shake.
- Sieve; screen; mesh; filter; instrument for straining out impurities; [word play] enigma; paradox; conundrum.
Late OE hriddel < hrider, to shake.
- Perforate; pierce.