rose [-s] n
OE < L. rosa prob. an adoption of Gr.
- Beautiful fragrant flower of the genus Rosa.
- Source of spicy fragrance or perfume.
- Graceful woman [reference to a close friend, for example, Helen Hunt Jackson.]
- Female flower; [personification] bride.
- Elegant construction [such as a body or a house.]
- Token; symbol; [fig.] representative; ambassador; authorized messenger.
- Spring; natural beauty; prime time; season of nature; early spring or autumn [fig.] life; hope.
- Blush; rush of blood to the face indicating intense emotion.
- Lady [possible reference to Mary Bowles and the Virgin Mary.]